The oldest town twinning arrangement is the one with Wolfsberg in Austria. The town of Wolfsberg is the economic and cultural center of the Lavanttal region in Kärnten (Carinthia) and is also known as "the Paradise of Carinthia" thanks to its beauty and affluence.
Along with several other Carinthian towns, Wolfsberg, which was mentioned in a document for the first time in 1178, was a present from Emperor Henry II to the bishops of Bamberg. It remained under their administration until it was purchased by the empress Maria Theresia. The town twinning arrangement between Wolfsberg and Herzogenaurach, which was officially established in 1968, is based on the seven centuries of joint affiliation of the two towns to the archdiocese of Bamberg, and has since been cultivated intensively.
Today, the town of Wolfsberg has approx. 25,000 inhabitants; the distance between Wolfsberg and Herzogenaurach is about 600 km.